Why are poor readers slow and inaccurate?
Many poor readers are slow and/or inaccurate at identifying:
- Letters, and sounds that letters make
- Words, and the meaning of words
- The meaning of sentences and paragraphs
- Readers who are slow and/or inaccurate spend too much of their cognitive resources on identifying words
- This does not leave enough cognitive capacity for the comprehension process
- Our software does not use phonics based procedures. Some children exposed to phonics become accurate at identifying words, but they are so slow comprehension is impaired