Many children who have difficulties in reading are slow and/or inaccurate at the rapid identification of letters, sounds that words make, and words themselves. Our Skill Builder interventions are designed to make readers fast and accurate at identifying letters, letter sounds, and words. When these skills become automatic, comprehension improves and reading is much easier. Problem readers who develop automatic reading skills often discover that they enjoy reading. Our intervention software does not use phonics based procedures and has proven to be effective with children who have not made good progress using phonics procedures.
The Skill Builder Designer allows one to create their own exercises with custom wordlists to meet specific needs. For example schools often have wordlists that every child of a particular grade should be able to sight recognize and spell. Another example would be a situation where a student is preparing for a vocational exam and needs to master a very specific vocabulary set.
> More about the Designer Module
Features of our Skill Builders
- Our expertly designed skill builder sets improve reading skills. Instantly available reports track progress over time.
- Mouse clicks instantly provide dictionary definitions of Skill Builder words
- Strengthen reading skills for ESL readers. Custom skill builders can be used to promote foreign language acquisition.
- Any Skill Builder Wordlist may be used as a sight vocabulary or spelling exercise.
- Custom design capabilities allow users to develop materials tailored to individual readers
What Automatic Reading Skills Do Our Skill Builders Develop?
- Letter and syllable recognition, word families and words
- Content area words in areas like social studies, science, mathematics, for Middle, JR. High and High School
- High level words for study of SAT and ACT exams
- A report appears showing a history of progress. > View Sample Reports
The report displays a graph showing the speed and accuracy of performance in each of the practice sessions, and a written indication of the student’s progress. Notice interesting aspects from the report of a real student:
- The different colors in the graph represent performance on different sets of 240 words at the same grade level. Notice that the accuracy of performance in the first practice session on a new set of never practiced words is better than accuracy performance on the first practice session with the previous set of words.
- Notice also that the speed of performance in the first practice session on a new set of never practiced words is better than the speed of performance on the first practice session with the previous set of words.
- These differences indicate that practice on one set of words transfers in a positive way to working with a new set of words. In short, the student is becoming a better reader of unpracticed material.
- The graph allows student (and others) to instantly see reading improvements.
- The computer indicates when mastery of a practice set has been achieved.
- When mastery is attained, the computer suggests moving to the next practice set.
- Performance reports can be printed and become part of an academic record.
These Skill Builder sets are available:
- Letter recognition
- Syllable recognition
- Word families (suitable for K and Grade 1)
- Grade 1-8 words
- Content area word sets, like social studies and sciences
- We have many more sets in development!